If you’ve ever dreamed of immersing yourself in a natural spa experience – then volcanic sand baths might be what you’ve been searching for. This wellness practice is rising in popularity, since it pampers your skin and also provides a plenty of health benefits.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about volcanic sand baths, from the origins of the unique sand to the many benefits it offers.
Please note: It’s quite tricky sourcing stock images of this wellness practice in action, we did the best we could! 🙂
Ready to get dug in? Let’s go!
What Are Volcanic Sand Baths?
Volcanic sand baths are a form of natural therapy where individuals immerse themselves in warm volcanic sand for therapeutic purposes. Because they make use of volcanic sand, locations near active volcanoes (like Japan, Iceland, or Italy) often offer volcanic sand bath experiences as part of their local spa and wellness offerings.
How Does A Volcanic Sand Bath Work?
A volcanic sand bath uses the natural heat generated from geothermal activity that happens in volcanic regions.
The process involves creating a bed of warm volcanic sand in which individuals immerse themselves for therapeutic and relaxing effects.
Here’s a brief breakdown of how it works:
- The process starts by choosing the sand. It’s often sourced from areas near active or dormant volcanoes, sand contains minerals, and is heated by the Earth’s natural geothermal processes.
- After that, a shallow pit or bed is created, and sand is spread evenly over the area. The sand bed is designed to accommodate individuals comfortably while allowing for even heat distribution.
- The Earth’s heat from below the surface warms the sand, creating a soothing and therapeutic temperature. That heat is transferred to the body as the individual lies down or sits in the sand.
- The recommended duration for a volcanic sand bath session is typically around 15 to 30 minutes. During this time, people may experience the gradual release of tension and stress as they absorb the warmth from the sand.
- After the sand bath, it’s a good idea to cool down gradually and hydrate to replenish fluids lost through sweating.
Volcanic Sand Bath Benefits
While they’re not backed by tons of scientific research, sand baths do have some benefits that many people have experienced. Here are the main ones:
The heat from the warm volcanic sand is believed to work into the muscles, promoting relaxation and easing muscle tension.
The heat experienced during a volcanic sand bath has been shown to enhance blood circulation. Improved circulation can have positive effects on various bodily functions, including nutrient and oxygen delivery to tissues.
Spending time in a volcanic sand bath means sweating. And sweating means detoxification. As the body warms up, the pores open, which makes it easier to sweat and remove impurities.
Volcanic sand is packed full of minerals. Those minerals are absorbed through the skin during a volcanic sand bath, and can help with blemishes and skin conditions.
Like many spa treatments, volcanic sand baths are often associated with relaxation and stress reduction. The warmth and soothing environment can provide a calming experience, promoting mental well-being.
Joint and Pain Relief
Some people say they also experience relief from joint pain and discomfort after a volcanic sand bath. Since the heat is believed to have a soothing effect on joints, potentially reducing pain and stiffness.
The overall experience of being immersed in warm volcanic sand may foster a mind-body connection, promoting mental relaxation and a sense of tranquillity.
Risks Of Volcanic Sand Baths
Overall, volcanic sand baths are pretty safe. But they do have some risks for specific individuals.
Here’s what you should be wary of:
Burns or Skin Irritation
The volcanic sand used in the baths can be quite hot, and there is a risk of burns or skin irritation if the sand temperature is not properly regulated.
The heat from the volcanic sand means more sweating, which can lead to dehydration. It’s important to drink plenty of water before and after the session to stay hydrated.
Inhaling dust or particles from the volcanic sand may pose a risk, especially for individuals with respiratory conditions such as asthma. So, the volcanic sand baths should have adequate ventilation in the treatment area to minimize the inhalation of fine particles.
The heat from the sand can affect the cardiovascular system by increasing heart rate and blood flow. Individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions should consult with their healthcare provider before engaging in volcanic sand baths to ensure that the therapy is safe for them.
If you’re unsure about whether or not this is something you need to be concerned about, take a look at our blog on 10 signs it’s time to see a cardiologist.
How To Pick A Volcanic Sand Bath
Picking the perfect volcanic sand bath experience involves considering several factors to ensure a safe and enjoyable spa session. Here are some tips on how to pick volcanic sand baths:
- Check Out Reviews: Before booking a trip to a volcanic sand bath, you should read reviews and testimonials from other visitors to get an idea of the quality of the experience and the facilities offered.
- Safety & Cleanliness: Ensure that the spa facility follows safety and cleanliness standards. The volcanic sand used should be regularly sanitized, and the spa area should be well-maintained. Confirm that the spa staff is trained to monitor and regulate the temperature of the sand to prevent burns or discomfort.
- Additional Amenities: Consider whether the spa offers additional amenities or services, such as showers, cooling areas, or post-bath relaxation spaces. These can enhance the overall experience and contribute to your well-being.
- Cost: As with any spa treatment, it’s important to make sure that you’re happy with the cost versus the quality of the treatment.
How Air Doctor Can Help
Did you know if you need to find a doctor abroad you can use the Air Doctor app to find one – anywhere, anytime?
Air Doctor gives you:
- Access to over 20,000 multi-lingual doctors worldwide
- Choice of clinic, at-home (hotel), and video appointments
- Local, valid prescriptions through our cross-border services
- Quality medical care, including urgent visits
- 24/7 multi-lingual customer support
- Video consultation services in up to 21 languages
- Partnered with leading insurance providers
Download the app, just in case.