Your upcoming vacation doesn’t need to destroy your healthy eating habits. This is how you can stick to foods that are more nutritious.
You’ve worked hard and spent countless hours planning the perfect vacation – now it’s time to kick back and enjoy yourself.
It’s so easy to let your usual healthy habits fall by the wayside once you’re having a good time on vacation but the last thing you want is to come back home feeling guilty about the food choices you made.
This is not to suggest that you shouldn’t use this as an opportunity to try out the local cuisine and eat food that brings you joy, it simply means being more aware of what you are putting on your plate.
A Basic Guide to Eating Healthy While on Vacation
Staying healthy on vacation is easier than you might imagine. Here are a few guidelines that will make it easy to stay on track.
Plan for the Day Ahead
If you’re planning to spend the day sightseeing, pack a few healthy snack options in your backpack so that you aren’t forced to purchase salty or sugary snacks once hunger strikes. It’s usually easy to find fresh and dried fruit, nuts and healthy snack bars at the local grocery store, so make a point of doing some shopping before you start relaxing. Don’t forget to stock up on bottled water so that you can stay hydrated during your outings.
Eat One Meal at Home
When you eat at least one meal at your self-catering accommodation, you’re always eating at least one healthy meal a day because you’re in control of the ingredients as well as the portions. Most travelers choose to eat breakfast at home but you can make this call based on your itinerary for the day.
Keep the Local Cuisine for Lunchtime
If you want to indulge in the local cuisine, lunch is the perfect opportunity to do just this. Instead of eating a heavy dinner and then possibly going to bed soon after, try a delicious local dish over lunch so that you have the rest of the day to burn it off.
Stick to One Plate
When you stay at a hotel, there is usually an abundance of food options available in the form of a buffet, which means it’s easier than ever to overindulge. It may be tempting to go back for seconds but sticking to one plate will ensure that you can keep eating healthy while on vacation.
Eating healthy on vacation is not something that should make you panic, it’s actually quite simple. Now all that’s left to do is focus on the amazing local dishes you’re going to experience.
Must-Try Foods around the World
Here are a few of the dishes that come highly recommended around the globe. Enjoy!
- Czech Republic: Goulash and bread dumplings are a must. The goulash is made with vegetables and potatoes, which is perfect for dipping your light and fluffy dumplings in. Ferdinanda is one of the best-rated restaurants for this dish.
- Spain: You just can’t miss out on paella while you’re in Spain – they know what they’re doing. If you find yourself in Barcelona, head to Bodega Joan for a great experience.
- Germany: Jägerbraten mit Spätzle is slow-roasted pork served with a dark sauce and mushrooms, and is a must-try while you’re enjoying the beer in Germany. Prater Garten offers a truly authentic experience in Berlin.
- Hong Kong: You won’t find better dim sum anywhere else. You simply can’t leave Hong Kong without trying it. Seventh Son comes highly recommended.
- Indonesia: If you are heading to Indonesia, don’t miss the chance to try soto, which is a meat, veggie and noodle soup. Soto Kadipiro is one restaurant that you can try for a good bowl of soto.
- Italy: Cicchetti is a type of anti-pasta that can be found throughout Italy and is the perfect snack after a long day of sightseeing. Head to Cantina do Spade in Venice for some delicious Cicchetti.
- Switzerland: If there is one dish you should try while in Switzerland, it’s cheese fondue, and Chäsalp is said to be one of the best places to try it.
- Vietnam: If you want a fresh and authentic dish while visiting Vietnam, mi Quang is definitely the one to try. Pho Xua is one restaurant that is said to serve some of the best mi Quang.
There is definitely no shortage of tantalizing dishes around the world but it definitely is still possible to work in healthier meals around all of the delicious local cuisine.